NSA Center for Information Assurance Education and Research
researcher: Roy H. Campbell (director)
Welcome to the Illinois Center for Information Assurance Education and Research! The Center is a member of the Information Trust Institute (ITI) and coordinates educational activities in information assurance across the campus of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Illinois offers a variety of courses, including online courses for the online master's program, and many research opportunities in information assurance to both undergraduate and graduate students. Our courses are matched to the Committee on National Security Systems (CNSS) Training Standards.
The Center for Information Assurance Education and Research has been the driving force behind the effort that resulted in the designation of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as a Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education by the National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education (CAEIAE) Program, an outreach program initially designed and operated by the National Security Agency (NSA) in the spirit of Presidential Decision Directive 63, National Policy on Critical Infrastructure Protection, May 1998. The goal of the program is to reduce vulnerability in our national information infrastructure by promoting higher education in information assurance (IA), and producing a growing number of professionals with IA expertise in various disciplines. The NSA IA Center was also instrumental in the University of Illinois's subsequent designation as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Research (CAE-R) by the NSA.
For more information, contact Roy Campbell, Director, at rhcillinois [dot] edu.
- 2nd International Workshop on Digital Forensics Curriculum Standards (DFCS2014) on August 7, 2014 in Denver, Colorado
- Lightning Security Talks on May 1, 2014 in 1st floor Atrium of Siebel Center
- Trust and Security Seminar: a bi-weekly seminar that includes presentations from trust and security experts from both at Illinois and other institutions.
- ITI Distinguished Lecture Series: a monthly series that brings in distinguished experts to speak on topics of trust and security.
- Assured Cloud Computer Seminar: a weekly seminar that includes presentations from students doing research in the area of security, cyber security, and information assurance.
- Illinois Cyber Security Scholars Seminar: a weekly seminar for the Cyber Security Scholars to give presentations, prepare for competitions, and to listen to guest speakers within and outside the university on topics related to cyber security and information assurance.
- The Information Trust Institute (ITI) at Illinois sponsors a number of events with a focus in information assusance. To see a list of past events, visit ITI Special Events .
- Students have participated in the following competitions related to cyber security: One of 10 finalist teams for the CSAW 2013, which is a national level cyber security competition; secured 2nd and 3rd positions for the Illinois Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition (ILCCDC) in 2012 and 2013.
- ITI hosted the Midwest Regional Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition regional in Urbana in spring 2006; working with CSSIA we hosted on-site around eight teams from around the midwest.